Name Change Policy and Procedures

Chosen Name — Students who have not completed a legal name change may request to have a “chosen name” used. A Change of Name form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. GTS then will be informed to update email addresses to reflect the chosen name.

Legal Name — Students’ legal names indicated on documents such as social security number card, birth certificates, driver’s license, marriage certificate, passports, or court order.

Students requesting a legal name change must submit a copy of SSN card indicating the new legal name along with the Change of Name form.

Chosen names will be reflected in BISON, grade rosters, and class rosters. Only legal names will be reflected on official transcripts and diplomas.

Gender Marker

Please submit the Demographic Information Change Form to the Registrar’s Office. For further information and/or resources, please visit the Trans@Gallaudet page.

Faculty/Staff: Legal name change and gender marker requests can be submitted via the Human Resources Office. Chosen name requests for emails and BISON/Blackboard logins can be submitted via the Helpdesk.

Contact Us

Office of the Registrar

Chapel Hall 101

(202) 250-2446

9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.