Gallaudet University Is Committed To America’s Veterans and Has A Long History Of Serving Them

Each academic year it is important to check on the U.S. Veteran’s Affairs web link – to see which major programs of study are approved by the VA and if Gallaudet University is participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Applicants must apply, if they are eligible, for educational benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

All veteran education beneficiary applicants must obtain the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE must be given to the VA School Certifying Official (SCO) for university student VA records. The COE includes a veteran’s status, information for educational benefit eligibility, and the required classifications used for VA educational certifications.

Students may only apply for the Yellow Ribbon program in an academic year that Gallaudet is participating.

Students eligible for VA educational benefits will need to request semester enrollment and program certification processing with the university VA listed SCO.

Since semester academic program compliance must be on record, each student will be required to have their advisor submit a record copy of the student’s annual program evaluation and checklist or complete the Student Advisory Program compliance form for VA educational certification.

Certifications of any type including VA certifications require a student to have active term status. Certifications to the VA must be submitted within 30 days of the start of a semester. Students are therefore required to submit VA certification requests by the end of add/drop periods each semester. If an initial certification is submitted on behalf of the student by the SCO, the official certification in the ‘dual certification’ process can be updated to official enrollment status, but can only be submitted when a student has completed both course registration and their business registration as per university policy.

Audited courses cannot be certified. Students requiring full-time status should have a full credit load for their program which excludes ‘audited course credits’.

Students are required to notify the VA School Certifying Official of any changes in status with Gallaudet University regarding their major program of study or course schedule, such as:

  • Seeking to be a ‘GUEST student’ at another institution while attending Gallaudet
  • WITHDRAW from a course or AUDIT a course (changes can impact your tuition rate)
  • If withdrawing from the university (i.e. transferring or ending college studies)
  • When a campus judicial matter is pending and/or determined
  • When charged or incarcerated for a crime

Additional information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon Program, as well as the VA’s other educational benefit programs, can be obtained by visiting the VA’s website or by calling 1(888) GIBILL-1 (or 1(888)442-4551).

Contact Us

Office of the Registrar

Chapel Hall 101

(202) 250-2446

9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.