Areas of Study


Students fill many jobs at Gallaudet University and Clerc Center each year. Student employment serves as an excellent recruitment and retention tool by helping students meet their financial demands of a higher education and by enabling them to acquire the skills, training and employment recommendations they may need for meaningful and rewarding careers after graduation.

Student employment is coordinated by the Career Center, a unit of Academic and Career Success (ACS). The Career Center serves as a clearinghouse for student employment by posting all job opportunities and by developing and administering guidelines that promote fair employment practices. Several of the guidelines are intended to assure compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and income tax regulations. The Career Center also develops and distributes pay scales for student employment. The Career Center assists in reviewing job descriptions and determining, in consultation with the hiring department, the appropriate pay level for each position to provide for internal pay equity.

This guide provides information regarding student employment. It may not cover every aspect, and procedures may change from time to time. The Career Center will make every effort to keep you apprised of changes.


If you have an available job or internship opportunity for students to apply for, you should register to use the Bison CareerLink (BCL). When you become a registered user, you will be able to post any available jobs your unit may have for students on BCL. To register for BCL:

  1. Go to Career Center’s website –
  2. Click on the “BCL” link on the left side of the website
  3. When the BCL webpage opens, scroll down to the section for “Employers”
  4. Click on “Bison CareerLink (BCL)”
  5. On the right of the webpage, under “Sign Up,” click on “Signup and Post Job”
  6. Once you are registered, you will receive an email providing you with a password to use for access to BCL

This will allow you to post jobs whenever your department has on-campus opportunities for students. Please make sure that you enter any pertinent information related to your available position when posting jobs. This information should include description of the position, minimum qualifications required to perform the job satisfactorily, name of the immediate supervisor or contact person, workdays and hours, start and end dates for the position, and the hourly rate. You should also list the closing date for acceptance of applications and resumes (if required). You may post job announcements that your department has available for students throughout the year.

All students have access to BCL that allows them to check for on- and off-campus employment, internship, and full-time employment opportunities.


Students classified as either part- or full-time can apply for a student position. Continuing students who are registered to return the following semester may work during semester breaks (including summer) as a student employee. New, returning and transfer students may not begin working as a student employee until the semester begins and they are a confirmed registered student. Any student under 18 years of age must obtain the appropriate work permit.

Employment at the Kellogg Conference Center is not eligible as an “on-campus” student employment option.

  • BISON TIP: Full-time student status means that the student is enrolled for 12 credit hours or more as an undergraduate student or 9 credit hours or more as a graduate student.
  • BISON TIP: Non-Gallaudet students may not apply and work any on-campus student positions


Visiting and exchange students from another school or country can obtain student employment if they are registered as a student at Gallaudet University. Please check records before hiring visiting and exchange students.

If the student is from another country, please refer to the “International (F-1/J-1) Students” section for additional information in this guide.


Students interested in your department’s job opening will complete either:

  • Your department’s job application form that you have posted to BCL, or
  • Career Center’s Student Employment Application form that is available in the Career Library, SAC 2221.

Students should bring the completed application form directly to your office. You may ask the student to provide additional applicant information such as a resume, cover letter, and/or sample of writing, if necessary and job related. Your role is to review the applications and select candidates to be interviewed.

  • BISON TIP: Please inform students who applied but are not selected for an interview by sending an email, letter, and/or phone/VP.


Federal Work Study (FWS) is a Federal financial aid program, which helps to create part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students with financial needs. This program enhances on-campus job opportunities for students who must earn money to help pay their educational costs. FWS pays 70 percent (70%) of the total earnings and the hiring department pays 30 percent (30%).

If your applicant indicates that they are eligible for or has an FWS award for Federal Work Study (FWS) you should receive an FWS Referral Form and other documentation confirming their status. For additional information about FWS, contact the Office of Financial Aid. FWS students are not permitted to work more than 39 hours each week or 78 hours during a two-week period.

  • BISON TIP: FWS students are not permitted to work more than 39 hours each week or 78 hours during a two-week period.
  • BISON TIP: Office of Financial Aid can be contacted by:


It is recommended that departments conduct interviews in order to select the best qualified candidate(s) for the position. Students have an array of skills and talents to offer. An interview gives the department an opportunity to obtain information about a student prior to hiring them.

After you have selected the student(s) to be interviewed, you may contact them by email, letter, or VP/phone. As with interviewing for faculty, teacher or staff openings, you should develop your questions in advance and be sure to ask each candidate the same questions. Follow-up questions may vary. All questions must be job related. If you need guidance with interview questions, specifically what you cannot ask, contact the Equal Opportunity Programs or Human Resources Services. If your department chooses to form an interviewing committee then arrange for the committee to consist of people that represent deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals, members of traditionally underrepresented groups, and women whenever possible. The interview committee should remain the same throughout the interview process.


When you and/or the interviewing committee complete the interviews and have made your hiring decision, make the offer to the selected candidate with an hourly rate that conforms to the pay level established by the Career Center. Please inform other students who were not selected for the position by email, letter, or VP/phone after the selected candidate accepts the offer.

  • BISON TIP: Remember to notify the Career Center when your position has been successfully filled so that the vacancy can be removed from the BCL.


When your student starts working, be sure to give the student a general orientation to the office and describe exactly what the work involves and what you expect the student to accomplish. It is equally important that you inform the student of procedures for reporting absences, late arrivals, and early departures.

A Student Personnel Action Form.

An I-9 Form and tax forms are required for all student employees to fill out. Additionally, a new W4 form was implemented and must be used for anyone hired after January 1, 2020. It is your responsibility to work with the student(s) to ensure that they complete these forms and that the forms are on file with Human Resources Services. An I-9 Form and tax forms MUST be on file within three business days of the student’s first day of working. The first day is included in the count of three business days to complete the forms.


Student employees are required to login into the Time and Labor System upon arrival to work. They also must log out using the Time and Labor System when they have completed their working shifts. Each time a student reports for work within a day, they must log-in and log-out of the Time and Labor System.

If a student works for more than one department, they must make sure that they designate the appropriate department code when they log-in and log-out. Supervisors should check to make sure that the hours recorded are the hours that the student worked for the supervisor’s department before the student’s work hours are approved. Supervisors use their own discretion in having students fill out timecards in conjunction with using the Time and Labor System. The benefits of having students use timecards with the Time and Labor System is that if there are any discrepancy with students’ time or if there is a malfunction with the Time and Labor System, the timecard serves as a back-up. Students are only paid for the hours they work; they are not eligible for holiday pay, nor may they accrue annual leave or sick leave or receive other University benefits unless specifically prescribed by law. Tuition, food, etc. cannot be exchanged for wages.

  • BISON TIP: Lunch/meal breaks are not paid. Students will need to punch out using ‘Meal’ then login when ready to return to work.


Often students accept more than one part-time position on campus in order to maximize their earnings. Students are instructed not to accept a second position that would result them working more than 40 hours in one week. However, if you require the student to work over 40 hours in one week, your department will be responsible for overtime payments (time and half). Also, any department allowing a student to work overtime will be responsible for overtime payments for the day the overtime was worked.


During the summer, if a student is not registered for summer classes, the student will be classified as Object Code 5136 (Taxable Summer Student Compensation). The student will be required to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA). Once summer classes are over, all students are classified as Object Code 5136. Your department budget will be charged for benefits for all students classified as 5136. Departments are not charged for benefits for students classified as 5135 when the academic year is in session.

  • BISON TIP: Payroll deductions are available to allow students to pay off their student accounts. Students can contact Student Financial Services for more information. Student Financial Services can be contacted by:


International students are permitted to work on-campus without the United States Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS) if they:

  • Are currently enrolled as a full-time student
  • Are in good academic standing
  • Have the appropriate immigration papers (valid I-20 or DS-2019, I-94, Passport, Visa)

International students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while in school is in session, and 40 hours or more during academic breaks and holidays. Any on-campus employment while school is in session that exceeds the maximum of 20 hours per week will immediately invalidate the student’s immigration status. Each international student will be required to fill out an Employment Eligibility Form (I-9 Form) with the Office of Research Support and International Affairs (RSIA). The supervisor will not assist the student with filling out the I-9 form as this must be completed with RSIA.

International students who are on academic probation or withdraws are not considered students and are ineligible for student employment.

If the visa stamp in the student’s passport has expired, it is not necessary to renew it if student wants to stay in the U.S. However, if it has expired and student wishes to travel outside the U.S> then it will need to be renewed at a U.S. consulate or embassy outside of the U.S. It cannot be renewed within the U.S.


Once a student has been hired, training time must be considered work time unless the following three conditions can be met:

  1. Attendance is clearly voluntary
  2. The student does not perform any productive work while attending the training session
  3. The training session is not directly related to the student’s job

Occasionally, training will occur before the semester begins and may involve housing and meals. If you need to make special arrangements for student housing during your training, please contact the Residence Life and Housing office.


In order to provide a meaningful work experience, students should be coached regarding appropriate work habits. Expectations regarding productivity, quality of work, initiative, human relations skills, time and attendance, etc., should be made clear. The first three months of a student’s employment are considered a probationary period. If at any time during the probationary period you believe, after coaching, that the student is not suitable for the position then you may terminate the student’s employment. You should meet with the student and explain the reason(s) for termination. Students are not eligible to file an appeal for a termination that occurs during the probationary period.


After the probationary period, the student should receive at least one letter of warning before employment is terminated for reasons related to performance. The letter of warning should describe the unacceptable performance, your expectations for improvement, and a statement that indicates failure to improve will result in termination of employment.

Student employment may be terminated without a letter of warning at the end of an appointment period, for budgetary reason, for reasons related to program needs, or if the individual is no longer considered a student. In these situations, student should be given two weeks’ notice so that they can attempt to find other employment. Student employment may be terminated immediately and without warning for acts of gross misconduct.


Student employees are paid according to a level and step system.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
A 12.00 12.25 12.50 12.75 13.00 13.25 13.50 13.75 14.00 14.25
B 12.75 13.00 13.25 13.50 13.75 14.00 14.25 14.50 14.75 15.00
C 13.50 13.75 14.00 14.25 14.50 14.75 15.00 15.25 15.50 15.75
D 14.25 14.50 14.75 15.00 15.25 15.50 15.75 16.00 16.25 16.50
E 15.00 16.00 17.00 18.00 19.00 20.00 21.00 22.00 23.00 24.00

Note: Effective July 1, 2022 the D.C. Minimum Wage will be $16.10 per hour. Minimum wage applies to most employees in District of Columbia, with limited exceptions including tipped employees, some student workers, and other exempt occupations. Based on this, the minimum wage for Gallaudet student workers will be $12.00 per hour effective August 1, 2022. The entire student schedule may be revised periodically to assure compliance with minimum wage laws and to maintain market comparable pay rates.

Each level is based on the complexity of the job and the qualifications required. It is recommended that newly hired students with limited or no experience start at Step 1 of a Level. Pay increments by step can be given at the end of each semester/year based on the student’s job performance

Positions on Level A require little or no specialized training or experience. Tasks are generally the same, are guided by instruction and/or an established routine, and do not require significant problem solving. Examples: file clerk, office assistant, receptionist, accounting clerk, library assistant (processing and circulation), groundskeeper, postal/mail clerk, bus monitor, data entry clerk, and classroom aide.

Positions on Level B require some related skill, training, and/or experience. Tasks are similar (but more complex than Level A), require some independent thinking and problem solving, and may involve the use of specialized equipment. Accountability, program impact, and/or the need for a high level of human relations skills may warrant a placement higher than Level A. Examples: cashier, library assistant (reference), program assistant, secretary, receptionist (e.g., President's or VP's office)

Positions on Level C require the application of knowledge gained through related coursework, specialized training, or experience, and usually require leadership capability. Tasks are more abstractly defined and require independent thinking, initiative, and problem-solving. Accountability and impact are considerations. Examples: tutor, teaching assistant, lab assistant, shuttle bus driver, group leader, student advisor, resident advisor, tour guide, aerobics

Positions on Level D require proficiency in and a thorough knowledge of a particular area acquired through coursework, training, or experience. Tasks are guided by general program goals and require analytical thinking, complex problem solving, independent action, and decision making. Accountability and impact are clearly important considerations. Little supervision is provided. Examples: job developer, program planner, peer health advocate, telecommunications technician, network technician, conference planner, judicial hearing coordinator, high-level program assistants

Positions on Level E require specific skills at a mastery level. These skills include those noted in Level D but may require more highly responsible and complex professional/technical duties. This level requires work at a graduate level in addition to the student being a graduate-level student. Examples: testing coordinator, program coordinator, webmaster

NOTE: Positions on Levels A – D can be filled by undergraduate and/or graduate students

Positions on Level E are for Graduate Students Only.



Undergraduate students who meet the minimum qualifications should start at Step 1 of the appropriate level. Students with added qualifications may start on a higher step. Except in highly unusual circumstances, undergraduate students should start no higher than Step 5. The pay schedule should never be compromised to intentionally enable a student to qualify for SSI/SSDI.

No student may have an hourly wage higher than the maximum pay rate on the pay schedule except in highly unusual circumstances. Exceptions should be reviewed with the Career Center before a salary is offered. Graduate students may be offered a pay rate on any step of the appropriate level; however, departments should consider skills, experience, internal equity, and the departmental budget in making a salary offer.

If a student remains in your department for a full year, regardless of the number of hours work, the student should receive a formal written performance evaluation. Based on the student’s overall performance, the student may be eligible for a merit increase. Merit increases are awarded as follow:

  • Outstanding Evaluation: 1 to 2 Steps
  • Above Average Evaluation: 1 Step

*Unless the position is an exception, a student may not receive an increase taking them above step 10 of the appropriate level. Students with a Satisfactory, Needs Improvement, or Unsatisfactory evaluation are ineligible for a merit increase. Students may be re-evaluated in three months and may receive a merit increase if performance has improved to above average or outstanding. Students with a Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory evaluation are warned on the evaluation from that, unless there is immediate and sustained improvement, employment will be terminated. Evaluations and recommendations for merit increases must be approved by the budget unit head.

Students who work in more than one position, even if in the same budget unit may receive different rates of pay.


Payment of minimum wages and overtime for full-time graduate students as graduate assistants may be made by furnishing living accommodations. However, this arrangement must be for the convenience of the University and residing in on-campus housing must clearly be a condition of employment. Announcements on file with the Career Center must state this requirement and indicate that living accommodations will be offered instead of pay. Students are generally expected to be on-call. The value of the accommodations (example: the equivalent of the weekly fee normally charged for the accommodation) must meet minimum wage and overtime regulations for the hours worked. Accordingly, a timecard must be kept in the department for record keeping purposes.


As part of the students’ overall experience at Gallaudet University, there are opportunities for students to participate in activities such as theatre productions, student publications, student governments, etc., these types of activities are for the enjoyment and benefit of the students and are not covered by minimum wages and overtime regulations. Students may receive a nominal sum for participating in these activities, if appropriate.

Students performing services on behalf of and for the benefit of the University (example: selling programs or tickets) are entitled to receive payment unless clearly volunteering their services.


Students may volunteer to work on-campus as part of their organization’s community service commitments or for humanitarian reasons. It must be clear to the student that there is no eligibility for pay. However, students who are hired for a position may not volunteer to work overtime (over 40 hours) in that position and thereby waive their right to overtime compensation.


Students are asked to inform their supervisor if they want to or must resign from a position and to give at least two weeks’ notice.


Scholarships are offered to defray the cost of student tuition. Scholarships, in general, are tax-free to recipients only if the scholarship is used by a degree candidate for “qualified tuition and related expenses.” Qualified expenses are limited to: (1) tuition and fees for enrollment in a qualified school, and (2) tuition and fees, books, supplies and equipment required for the course of study. Students are not expected to work in exchange for a scholarship. Scholarships are paid by check request or, if offered by the Office of Financial Aid, by a credit to the student’s account.

Stipends, assistantships, or other forms of financial assistance given to a student without the exception of working should be processed on a check request.

Although nearly all student employment should be processed in accordance with the section in this guide, “Orientation & Payroll,” occasionally a student may receive a lump sum payment at the beginning of a semester or several smaller lump sum payments (sometimes referred to as stipends or assistantships) during the course of the semester to help with expenses and is expected to work a number of hours each week or pay period in exchange for the payment. These types of payments must be processed on a Special Personnel Action Form (SPAF) and a timecard must be kept in the department to assure that the payment meets minimum wage and overtime regulations.


Students are regularly placed in work assignments as part of their academic program, intended for their benefit, and designed to provide them with professional experience in the furtherance of their education and training. Practicum and internship experiences of this nature are not paid by the University unless the student is hired and paid as a regular student employee.


Students are encouraged to resolve problems directly with their supervisor. However, if a student has a problem or complaint they cannot resolve with the immediate supervisor and the student believes an employment-related action is inappropriate, unfair, or in violation of the institution’s policies or procedures, the student may file a formal complaint. Steps in filing a formal complaint is as followed:

  1. The first step is for the student to bring their concern to the attention of the department head within five weekdays of the incident.
  2. The department head has five weekdays to respond to student’s concern.
  3. If the student disagrees with the response of the department head, the student may present an appeal in writing to the unit administrator (example: directors, managers) from the department head’s response.
  4. The unit administrator must respond within five weekdays.
  5. If the student disagrees with the response of the unit administrator, the student may appeal to the senior administrator (example: associate dean, executive director) within five weekdays of the senior administrator’s response.
  6. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the senior administrator must respond within ten weekdays.
  7. The decision of the senior administrator is usually final and binding. The student may submit a final appeal to the Director of Equal Opportunity Programs if they believe an act is in violation of any law or regulation governing employment. Students are not eligible to file an appeal for a termination that occurs during probationary period.


You may be contacted later as a reference for your student, or you may be asked to verify your former student’s employment. Records regarding student employment should be kept for a minimum of five years following graduation and should include:

  1. Dates of employment
  2. Position(s) held
  3. Starting and ending pay rates
  4. Performance evaluation ratings


  1. Career Center
    Location: I. King Jordan Student Academic Center 2221
    VP: (202) 250-2477
    Phone: (202) 651-5240
    Email: Contact
  2. Equal Opportunity Programs
    Location: College Hall 322
    VP: (202) 559-5683
    Phone: (202) 651-5462
    Email: Contact
  3. Human Resources
    Location: College Hall 106
    VP: (202) 250-2284
    Phone: (202) 651-5352
    Email: Contact
  4. Office of the Ombuds
    Location: Ely 113
    VP: (202) 559-5079
    Phone: (202) 559-5079
    Email: Contact
  5. Office of Financial Aid
    Location: Chapel Hall G-02
    VP: (202) 618-6844
    Phone: (202) 651-5290
    Email: Contact
  6. Office of International Affairs (OIA)
    Location: Dawes House
    VP: (202) 250-2294
    Phone: (202) 651-5150 or (800) 451-8834
    Email: Contact
  7. Residence Life and Housing
    Location: Ely Center 132
    VP: (202) 250-2988
    Phone: (202) 651-5255
    Email: Contact
  8. Student Financial Services
    Location: College Hall B-04
    VP: (202) 250-2453
    Phone: (202) 651-5145
    Email: Contact

Gallaudet University is an equal opportunity employer/educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, hearing status, disability, covered veteran status, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, place of business or residence, pregnancy, childbirth, or any other unlawful basis.

Contact Us

Office for Career Success

JSAC (Jordan Student Academic Center) Suite 2200

9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.