Areas of Study


Students fill many jobs at Gallaudet University and the Clerc Center each year. The University is hopeful that by providing on-campus employment, it can help you meet the financial demands of your education and enable you to acquire the skills, training and employment recommendations you may need for internships and meaningful and rewarding careers after graduation.

Student employment is coordinated by the Career Center, a unit of Academic and Career Success (ACS). The Career Center serves as a clearinghouse for student employment by posting on-campus job opportunities and by developing and administering guidelines that promote fair employment practices. Several of the guidelines are intended to assure compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and income tax regulations. The Career Center also develops and distributes pay scales for student employment. The Career Center assists in reviewing job descriptions and determining, in consultation with the hiring department, the appropriate pay level for each position to provide for internal pay equity.

This guide provides information regarding student employment. It may not cover every aspect, and procedures may change from time to time. The Career Center will make every effort to keep you apprised of changes. All Gallaudet student employment is, in part, contingent upon University needs, adequate funding and satisfactory performance.


Students who are looking for on-campus employment, can use Bison CareerLink (BCL) to help with their job search. It is recommended that departments that have jobs for students, post their job openings on Bison CareerLink (BCL). Students should follow these directions to access BCL:

  1. Go to Office for Career Success’s website – Office for Career Success
  2. Click on the “BCL” link on the left side of the website
  3. When the BCL webpage opens, scroll down to the section for STUDENTS
  4. Click on “Bison CareerLink (BCL)”
  5. At the “Sign In” page, enter your Gallaudet username and password. (Make sure you include “” after your name in the sign-in box.)
  6. If your name is not in the BCL system, you will need to complete the registration process
  7. Make sure that you update your profile in BCL

Students can use BCL to check for internships, on-campus positions, and off-campus part and full-time jobs.


Students classified as either part- or full-time can apply for a student position. Continuing students who are registered to return the following semester may work during semester breaks (including summer) as a student employee. New, returning and transfer students may not begin working as a student employee until the semester begins and they are a confirmed registered student. Any student under 18 years of age must obtain the appropriate work permit.

Employment at the Kellogg Conference Center is not eligible as an “on-campus” student employment option.

  • BISON TIP: Full-time student status means that the student is enrolled for 12 credit hours or more as an undergraduate student or 9 credit hours or more as a graduate student.
  • BISON TIP: Non-Gallaudet students may not apply and work any on-campus student positions.


If you are interested in a position, you must complete either the application posted on Bison CareerLink (BCL) by the hiring department or a Student Employment Application form. Student Employment Application forms are available in the Career Center, SAC 2221. Be sure to fill out the form completely. Your completed application form should be delivered directly to the hiring department. The hiring department may also ask that you provide additional information such as a resume, cover letter and/or sample of writing.


Federal Work Study (FWS) is a Federal financial aid program, which helps to create part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students with financial needs. This program enhances on-campus job opportunities for students who must earn money to help pay their educational costs.

If you are eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS), it is your responsibility to get the appropriate documentation from the Financial Aid Office to give to your hiring supervisor for signature. For additional information about FWS, contact the Office of Financial Aid. Federal Work Study students are not permitted to work more than 39 hours each week or 78 hours during a two-week period. International students are not eligible for the Federal Work Study Program.

  • BISON TIP: FWS students are not permitted to work more than 39 hours each week or 78 hours during a two-week period.
  • BISON TIP: Office of Financial Aid can be contacted by:


Many students may apply for the same position that is advertised by a department. All applicants are not interviewed by the hiring department. The hiring department will let you know by Email, letter or VP whether or not you have been selected for an interview. Departments will select the applicant(s) that have the qualifications and skills that best fit their department’s needs. If you are selected for an interview, please be on time and dress appropriately. If you would like tips on interviewing techniques, books and handouts are available in the Career Library, SAC 2221. You can also make an appointment with your Career Consultant to get interview assistance.


If you are hired for a position, the hiring department will let you know your start date. When you arrive on the job, you will be given a general orientation to the office and will be informed what your work involves and what you are expected to accomplish. You will also be informed about the procedures for reporting absences, late arrivals, and early departures.

A specified period of time may be set aside to provide you with intensive training. Training that is required and directly related to your job will be considered work time. Most departments will also offer on-the-job training to allow you time to get oriented to your new position.


If you are hired by a department, you will be sent a Student Employee New Hire Letter. You must sign the letter and return it to the hiring department. Prior to your start date, you will also be required to complete an I-9 form and tax forms. These forms must be on file in the Payroll and Personnel Offices in order for you to work and be paid. The I-9 form requires that you provide documentation establishing identity (i.e., picture identification such as your driver’s license) and employment eligibility (such as a U.S. Social Security card or birth certificate). A U.S. Passport, Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization, or Alien Registration Card may be used to establish both identity and employment eligibility. If you are an international student, your I-9 form will be completed by the Office of Research Support and International Affairs (RSIA).

Note: Payroll deductions are available to allow you to pay off your student account. Contact Student Accounts for more information.


As a student employee, you will be required to log-in to the Time and Labor System every time you report to work. You must also log-out using the Time and Labor System when you have completed your work shift(s). Each time you report for work within a day, you must log-in and log-out of the Time and Labor System.

If you work for more than one department, you must make sure that you designate the appropriate department code when you log-in and log-out of the Time and Labor System. Your supervisor will check to make sure that the hours recorded are the hours that you worked for the supervisor’s department before your work hours are approved. Supervisors will use their own discretion in having you fill out time cards in conjunction with using the Time and Labor System. You will only be paid for the hours you work; you are not eligible for holiday pay, annual leave or sick leave.

  • BISON TIP: Lunch/meal breaks are not paid. You will need to punch out and select “Meal” then login when you are ready to return to work.


Often students accept more than one part-time position on campus in order to maximize their earnings. You should not accept a second position that would result in you working more than 40 hours in one week. However, if you are required to work over 40 hours in one week, your department will be responsible for overtime payments (time and half). Also, any department allowing you to work overtime will be responsible for overtime payments for the day the
overtime was worked.


During the summer, if you are not registered for summer classes, you will be required to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA).

If you are taking classes during the summer and working, the above rule does not apply. However, if you continue to work once your summer classes are over, you will be required to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA), until classes begin in August.

  • BISON TIP: Payroll deductions are available to allow students to pay off their student accounts. Students can contact Student Financial Services for more information. Student Financial Services can be contacted by:


International students are permitted to work on-campus without the United States Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS) if they:

  • Are currently enrolled as a full-time student
  • Are in good academic standing
  • Have the appropriate immigration papers (valid I-20 or DS-2019, I-94, Passport, Visa)

International students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and 40 hours or more during academic breaks and holidays. Any on-campus employment while school is in session that exceeds the maximum of 20 hours per week will immediately invalidate the student’s immigration status. Each international student will be required to fill out an Employment Eligibility Form (I-9 Form) with the Office of Research Support and International Affairs (RSIA). The supervisor will not assist the student with filling out the I-9 form as this must be completed with RSIA.

International students who are on academic probation or withdraw are not considered students and are ineligible for student employment.

If the visa stamp in the student’s passport has expired, it is not necessary to renew it if student wants to stay in the U.S. However, if it has expired and student wishes to travel outside the U.S. then the passport will need to be renewed at a U.S. consulate or embassy outside of the U.S. It cannot be renewed within the U.S.

  • BISON TIP: Research Support and International Affairs can be contacted by:


In order to provide a meaningful work experience, you will be coached regarding appropriate work habits. Expectations regarding productivity, quality of work, initiative, human relations skills, time and attendance, etc., should be made clear. The first three months of your employment are considered a probationary period. If at any time during the probationary period your supervisor believes, after coaching, that you are not suitable for the position then your supervisor may terminate your employment. Your supervisor should meet with you to explain the reason(s) for your termination. You are not eligible to file an appeal for a termination that occurs during the probationary period.


After the probationary period, you should receive at least one letter of warning from your supervisor before employment is terminated for reasons related to performance. The letter of warning should describe the unacceptable performance, your supervisor’s expectations for improvement, and a statement that indicates failure to improve will result in your termination of employment.

Student employment may be terminated without a letter of warning at the end of an appointment period, for budgetary reason, for reasons related to program needs, or if the individual is no longer considered a student. Student employment may be terminated immediately and without warning for acts of gross misconduct.

  • BISON TIP: Residence Life and Housing can be contacted by:


You should inform your supervisor if you need to resign from a position. You are expected to give at least at least two weeks’ notice before leaving a job.


Student employees are paid according to a level and step system.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
A 10.50 10.75 11.00 11.25 11.50 11.75 12.00 12.25 12.50 12.75
B 11.25 11.50 11.75 12.00 12.25 12.50 12.75 13.00 13.25 13.50
C 11.75 12.00 12.25 12.50 12.75 13.00 13.25 13.50 13.75 14.00
D 12.50 12.75 13.00 13.25 13.50 13.75 14.00 14.50 14.75 15.00
E 13.50 14.50 15.50 16.50 17.50 18.50 19.50 20.50 21.50 22.50

NOTE: Effective July 1, 2020, the D.C. minimum wage will increase to $15.00 per hour. The minimum wage applies to most employees in District of Columbia, with limited exceptions including tipped employees, some student workers, and other exempt occupations¹. Based on this, the minimum wage for student employees at Gallaudet University will remain at $10.50 per hour. The entire student schedule may be revised periodically to assure compliance with minimum wage laws and to maintain market comparable pay rates.

Each level is based on the complexity of the job and the qualifications required. It is recommended that newly hired students with limited or no experience start at Step 1 of a Level. Pay increments by step can be given at the end of each semester/year based on the student’s job performance.

LEVEL A: Positions on Level A require little or no specialized training or experience. Tasks are generally the same, are guided by instruction and/or an established routine, and do not require significant problem solving. Examples: file clerk, office assistant, receptionist, accounting clerk, library assistant (processing and circulation), groundskeeper, postal/mail clerk, bus monitor, data entry clerk, classroom aide.

LEVEL B: Positions on Level B require some related skill, training, and/or experience. Tasks are similar (but more complex than Level A), require some independent thinking and problem solving, and may involve the use of specialized equipment. Accountability, program impact, and/or the need for a high level of human relations skills may warrant a placement higher than Level A. Examples: cashier, library assistant (reference), program assistant, secretary, receptionist (President’s or Vice President’s office).

LEVEL C: Positions on Level C require the application of knowledge gained through related coursework, specialized training, or experience, and usually require leadership capability. Tasks are more abstractly defined and require independent thinking, initiative, and problem solving. Accountability and impact are considerations. Examples: tutor, teaching assistant, lab assistant, shuttle bus driver, group leader, student advisor, resident advisor, tour guide, aerobics instructor.

LEVEL D: Positions on Level D require proficiency in and a thorough knowledge of a particular area acquired through coursework, training, or experience. Tasks are guided by general program goals and require analytical thinking, complex problem solving, independent action, and decision-making. Accountability and impact are clearly important considerations. Little supervision is provided. Examples: job developer, program planner, peer health advocate, telecommunications technician, network technician, conference planner, judicial hearing coordinator, high-level program assistants.

LEVEL E: Positions on Level E require specific skills at a mastery level. These skills include those noted in Level D but may require more highly responsible and complex professional/technical duties. This level requires work at a graduate level in addition to the student being a graduate student. Examples: testing coordinator, program coordinator, web master.

NOTE: Positions on Level A through D can be filled by undergraduate and/or graduate students. Positions on Level E are for graduate students only.



Payment of minimum wages and overtime for full-time graduate students as graduate assistants may be made by furnishing living accommodations. However, this arrangement must be for the convenience of the University, and residing in on-campus housing must clearly be a condition of employment. Announcements on file with the Career Center must state this requirement and indicate that living accommodations will be offered instead of pay. Students are generally expected to be on-call. The value of the accommodations (example: the equivalent of the weekly fee normally charged for the accommodation) must meet minimum wage and overtime regulations for the hours worked. Accordingly, a time card must be kept in the department for record keeping purposes.


As part of your overall experience at Gallaudet University, there are opportunities for you to participate in activities such as theatre productions, student publications, student governments, etc. These types of activities are for your enjoyment and benefit and are not covered by minimum wages and overtime regulations. You may receive a nominal sum for participating in these activities, if appropriate.

Students performing services on behalf of and for the benefit of the University (example: selling programs or tickets) are entitled to receive payment unless clearly volunteering their services.


Students may volunteer to work on-campus as part of their organization’s community service commitments or for humanitarian reasons. It must be clear to the student that there is no eligibility for pay. However, students who are hired for a particular position may not volunteer to work overtime (over 40 hours) in that position and thereby waive their right to overtime compensation.


Scholarships are offered to defray the cost of student tuition. Scholarships, in general, are tax-free to recipients only if the scholarship is used by a degree candidate for “qualified tuition and related expenses.” Qualified expenses are limited to: (1) tuition and fees for enrollment in a qualified school, and (2) tuition and fees, books, supplies and equipment required for the course of study. Students are not expected to work in exchange for a scholarship. Scholarships are paid by check request or, if offered by the Office of Financial Aid, by a credit to the student’s account.

Stipends, assistantships, or other forms of financial assistance given to a student without the exception of working should be processed on a check request.

Although nearly all student employment should be processed in accordance with the section in this guide, “Orientation & Payroll,” occasionally a student may receive a lump sum payment at the beginning of a semester or several smaller lump sum payments (sometimes referred to as stipends or assistantships) during the course of the semester to help with expenses and is expected to work a number of hours each week or pay period in exchange for the payment. These types of payments must be processed on a Special Personnel Action Form (SPAF) and a time card must be kept in the department to assure that the payment meets minimum wage and overtime regulations.


Students are regularly placed in work assignments as part of their academic program, intended for their benefit, and designed to provide them with professional experience in the furtherance of their education and training. Practicum and internship experiences of this nature are not paid by the University unless the student is hired and paid as a regular student employee.


Students are encouraged to resolve problems directly with their supervisor. However, if a student has a problem or complaint they cannot resolve with the immediate supervisor and the student believes an employment-related action is inappropriate, unfair, or in violation of the institution’s policies or procedures, the student may file a formal complaint. Steps in filing a formal complaint is as followed:

  1. The first step is for the student to bring their concern to the attention of the department head within five weekdays of the incident.
  2. The department head has five weekdays to respond to student’s concern.
  3. If the student disagrees with the response of the department head, the student may present an appeal in writing to the unit administrator (example: directors, managers) from the department head’s response.
  4. The unit administrator must respond within five weekdays.
  5. If the student disagrees with the response of the unit administrator, the student may appeal to the senior administrator (example: associate dean, executive director) within five weekdays of the senior administrator’s response.
  6. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the senior administrator must respond within ten weekdays.
  7. The decision of the senior administrator is usually final and binding. The student may submit a final appeal to the Director of Equal Opportunity Programs if they believe an act is in violation of any law or regulation governing employment. Students are not eligible to file an appeal for a termination that occurs during probationary period.


  1. Office for Career Success
    Location: I. King Jordan Student Academic Center 2221
    VP: (202) 250-2477
    Phone: (202) 651-5240
    Email: Contact
    Website: Office for Career Success
  2. Human Resources
    Location: College Hall 106
    VP: (202) 250-2284
    Phone: (202) 651-5352
    Email: Contact
  3. Financial Aid
    Location: Chapel Hall G-02
    VP: (202) 618-6844
    Phone: (202) 651-5290
    Email: Contact
  4. International Affairs (RSIA)
    Location: Dawes House 102
    VP: (202) 651-5150
    Phone: (202) 250-2307
    Email: Contact
    Website: International Affairs
  5. Office of the Ombuds
    Location: Ely 113
    VP: (202) 559-5079
    Phone: (202) 559-5079
    Email: Contact
    Website: Office of the Ombuds

Gallaudet University is an equal opportunity employer/educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, hearing status, disability, covered veteran status, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, place of business or residence, pregnancy, childbirth, or any other unlawful basis.

Contact Us

Office for Career Success

JSAC (Jordan Student Academic Center) Suite 2200

9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.