Areas of Study


Professional Licensure Disclosures

In compliance with the U.S. Department of Education and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education for participation in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA), Gallaudet University provides information pertaining to professional licensure and certification.

The following is recommended BEFORE beginning a program if considering a Gallaudet University program that leads to professional licensure with the intent to be licensed outside of the District of Columbia:

  • Review the licensing information provided for the applicable program(s) below
  • Contact the appropriate licensing agency in the U.S. states and territories where licensure is intended. This will enable you to obtain the most up-to-date information about licensure requirements and confirm how a Gallaudet University program facilitates those requirements.

While a program may not be formally approved, it may still meet all or a portion of the “educational” requirements for licensure in other states and territories. Therefore, it may be necessary for you to contact the licensing agency directly to find out if a Gallaudet University program will meet educational requirements.

Additionally, while progressing through any of these programs, we recommended that you check licensing agency requirements regularly to monitor whether they have changed in a manner that impacts your licensure plans.

To learn more, please review the licensure information provided for the program of interest or review the state dropdownfor all programs.


Hearing, Speech, and Language Sciences


Social Work

Licensure in Washington, D.C.

Students completing one of Gallaudet’s state-approved license programs are eligible for a D.C. State License.

School Service Providers

For School Service Providers seeking a D.C. License (i.e., School Psychology or School Social Work),contact the program director in your department for further information. Verification of program completion is signed by Gallaudet’s Certification Officer.

School Educators

If you will be applying for a teaching license, we recommend that you first get your DC teaching license even if you will later get a license in another state. Why? Often the process is easier if you already have a license in the state in which you completed your program. The information below will help you with both processes.

Related Links


Professional Licensure by State
Gallaudet University has made a determination that the program curriculum does not meet the educational requirements for Teacher Educator licensure in Alabama. Obtaining a D.C. licensure first may assist in obtaining a license in Alabama. National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification...


Contact Us


Caroline Kobek Pezzarossi, Ph.D

College Hall 410A

(202) 559-5370


9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.