Visa Requirements

All IVS will be required to obtain a J-1 Exchange Visitor visa. Applicants with B-1, B-2, F-1, F-2, and J-2 visas may not be eligible.

Please note that a tourist visa (B1/B2/WB/WT) status may be, at first glance, thought of as appropriate; however, if the University benefits from the visit, if equipment and facilities used are owned or operated by the University, if the visitor is involved in a formally structured program if the visit, and/or if the research undertaken might result in published work, patent, or discovery, the use of B1/B2/WB/WT visas will contradict U.S. Department of State guidelines. In such cases, only the J-1 visa would be deemed appropriate.

Financial Certification

Participating in the IVRP requires one to provide sufficient financial support documents that cover the minimum amount time that will be spent in the program, including fees and living expenses. Per Exchange Visitor regulations, at least 51% of the funding support documents must come from a scholarship, fellowship, or a grant/award from the student’s home university, a government or nongovernment agency or other organization. The rest (49%) can come from personal or family funds. Please be advised that visiting researchers must pay their own interpreting fees. Also, the University will charge an admission/application fee of $200 beginning in 2015.

All financial documents provided must be in English or translated into English. (See the application form for a guide.)

Contact Us

International Visiting Scholar (IVS) Program

Building 103

(202) 250-2294

(202) 651-5150

(202) 803-7546


Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.