Parking Permits

Parking Permits must be displayed at all times while on campus. Permits are for the exclusive use of the registrant; they may not be sold, exchanged, or loaned. Parking fees are not refundable. Parking registration will not be provided unless all outstanding traffic/parking citations have been paid. Registration is not necessary for vehicles that are not required to have state license plates. Theft or unauthorized use of a Gallaudet parking permit will result in having parking privileges revoked.

Vehicle Registration Forms may be obtained at DPS located on the ground floor of Carlin Hall. You will be required to provide the following information for registering your vehicle at the time of application :

  • Registrant’s name, local and home address, and telephone number;
  • Registrant’s driver’s license number and expiration date;
  • Vehicle identification number and owner’s name and address;
  • Vehicle identification information (e.g., color, make);
  • Employment information (for employees).

Faculty, Teachers, Staff, and Students

Faculty, teachers, staff, and students (full or part-time, full or partial year) must register their vehicle, including motorcycles, with the Department of Public Safety in order to operate or park a motor vehicle on campus. Parking fees are as follows:

Parking Registration Type Fee
Faculty, teachers, and staff (permanent status only)per year $156
Students One semester (Fall or Spring) $54
Students Fall & Spring Semester $108
Summer Semester $40

For persons married to a person that is required to live on campus, the parking fee will be dependent on their spouses’ role. For example, if their spouse is a staff member, they’d pay the staff rate.

Students are required to register their vehicles at the beginning of the fall, spring, and summer semesters, or they may obtain a two semester (fall and spring) or two semester plus summer permit. Faculty, teachers, and staff are required to apply for a parking permit at the time of employment. Renewals to update registration information occur periodically. A vehicle brought to campus during the year must be registered immediately.

Registrants must inform DPS (Contact) within seven days of any change from the original application, e.g., a new vehicle or a change from student to staff status.

Parking permits may be paid by any one of the following methods:

  • Payroll deduction: Forms are available in DPS or in the payroll office. If a registered vehicle will no longer be parked on campus, employees or students may cancel their payroll deduction by completing a cancellation form. The payroll deduction will stop the following pay period. Parking permits must be returned to DPS.
  • Cash, Check, or Credit Card: Checks should be made payable to Gallaudet University. Cash or credit card payments may be made in the DPS office.

Faculty/Staff, Students, Visitors, Daily, Short-Term Employees, and Agency Personnel

Visitors may obtain temporary parking permits on a daily, weekly or summer basis, from DPS. This option is also available to short-term or part-time employees or contractors who do not need a permanent parking permit.

Fees for parking on campus are as follows:

Parking Fee Types Fee
1-Day $5
1-Week $10
1-Month $20
2-Months $35
3-Months $50
4-Months $65
5-Months $75
6-Months $90
Visitor Rate Fee
1-Day $10
1-Week $40

In unusual circumstances, DPS may authorize a special fee.

Temporary parking permits may be obtained from the DPS and may be paid by cash, check, or credit card. Parking is at no charge for guests between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7:30 a.m.; however, vehicles must be registered with DPS. Temporary parking passes must be displayed in the window of the vehicle.

Kellogg Conference Hotel Guests and Conference Attendees

Overnight guests of the Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University are required to inform the front desk if they have a vehicle, get a parking permit and pay the current parking fee. You must display a valid parking permit in order to park on campus, or you will receive a ticket or your vehicle may be towed.

Please park in the three-story garage located near the Conference Center. If it is full, additional space is located directly across 6th Street in an overflow lot. Your permit will not be valid for any other parking space on campus.

It is your responsibility to abide by all traffic and parking regulations. If you’d like a copy of the Campus Parking and Traffic Regulations handbook, please stop by the Department of Public Safety, in Carlin Hall.

If you receive a ticket, please follow the instructions on the violation notice.

The University assumes no liability for loss of or damage to personal vehicles or to items left within them or for personal injuries that may result from the use of a vehicle on campus.

Construction Contractors/Workers, Delivery and Service Personnel, and Volunteers

Construction Contractors/Workers: No parking fee is required. Unless other arrangements have been authorized by DPS, construction contractors and workers are expected to park in the overflow lot on 6th Street.

Delivery and Service Personnel: No parking fee is required for clearly marked vehicles. Trucks may be parked in a loading zone or along a curb while the delivery is being made. If the vehicle is not clearly marked, a pass must be obtained from the Department of Public Safety.

Volunteers: Volunteers who are on campus as part of the volunteer program are not required to pay for parking. Parking permits may be picked up in the volunteer program office located in the Edward Miner Gallaudet (EMG) building.

Parking Permit for All Others

Please report to the Department of Public Safety on the ground floor of Carlin Hall.

The President, Provost, and Vice President for Administration and Finance (or their designees) may assign special permits to certain visitors and guests. Parents of current and prospective students and professors emeriti, for example, are assigned a special parking pass and are not required to pay a parking fee. All individuals who are permitted to park free of charge must obtain a parking pass from the Department of Public Safety.

The Department of Public Safety will issue temporary parking permits to departments that prefer to pay the fee for their visitors. The above fees must be paid by the department. Interdepartmental invoices are accepted.

Contact Us

Public Safety

Carlin Hall Basement

(202) 651-5445

(202) 651-5555

12:00 am-12:00 am
12:00 am-12:00 am
12:00 am-12:00 am
12:00 am-12:00 am
12:00 am-12:00 am

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.