Step One: Application and Acceptance

Undergraduate Programs

Apply to be an Undergraduate Student here, and fill in all related documents.

Graduate School Programs:

Apply as a Graduate or Ph.D. student here.

If you are applying for the International Special Student and/or Visiting Researcher programs, complete an ISSP/IVRP Application.

English Language Institute

The English Language Institute provides an intensive English as a Second Language program for American and international deaf and hard of hearing students.

Apply to the ELI here

Step Two: Certification of Finances Form

Once you are accepted to Gallaudet University as an undergraduate, graduate, or Ph.D. student, you will need to complete a Certification of Finances Form for Undergraduates or Graduate or Ph.D. Students.

This helps us get complete and accurate information about the funds available to international applicants or admitted students who want to study in the United States.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations require all international applicants, or admitted students, to provide evidence of adequate financial support before they can obtain an I-20 Form (Step Three).

You need to submit BOTH the complete Certification of Finances Form and original, official financial documents that show you have sufficient funds to pay for university expenses including tuition, books, fees, supplies, insurance, and living expenses.

If your Certificate of Finances Form is not completed or received and approved, you will not receive the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form for F1).

Step Three: Form I-20

Once your Certification of Finances Form is completed, reviewed, and approved, International Student Services will send you an I-20 which you will need to get a visa.

An I-20 Form is the immigration document that tells the U.S. government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status.

It certifies that:

  • You are or expect to be a “bona fide” student.
  • You meet the admissions requirements.
  • You will pursue a full course of study.
  • You have sufficient funds to pay for university expenses including tuition, books, fees, supplies, insurance, and living expenses without working illegally or suffering from poverty.

Some international students do not need I-20 Forms.

  • J-1 students need Form DS-2019 and should contact International Student Services.
  • B Visitors and F-2 dependents must obtain an I-20 Form and apply for a change of status to F-1 student to pursue a course of study that is not vocational or recreational in nature.

If you have another non-immigrant status in the U.S., you don’t need an I-20 Form.

Send photocopies of:

  • your current visa and passport
  • both sides of the I-94

and your immigration status with your application.

Dependent children in E, H, I, J, L, M, N, O, P, R, or S status need to change that status after their 21st birthday or if they marry.

If you are a permanent resident, refugee, or person with political asylum status, send copies of your immigration documents with your application.

If you are transferring from a U.S. college or university, send photocopies of

  • your current visa and passport
  • both sides of the I-94
  • the Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (F-1) status

with your application.

Step Four: SEVIS FEE

You need to pay $200 for your SEVIS fee. Effective September 1, 2004, the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires the collection of a one-time fee of $200 from certain international students and visiting scholars. The fee is required to cover the operational costs of the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

Students or exchange visitors who are issued an initial Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 on or after September 1, 2004, are responsible for paying this fee before going to their Embassy or Consulate.

Step Five: Student Visa

After receiving your acceptance letter from Gallaudet, you must apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country for the student visa. You will be responsible for making an appointment with a consulate at an Embassy nearest your place of residence after receiving the I-20 with the SEVIS so you can receive the F-1 student visa.

The F-1 visa is the most often used visa by international students to study at an accredited U.S. college, university, or English language institute. Students on F-1 visas come to the United States for a full degree program.

It is important to remember that acceptance to Gallaudet University does not guarantee the issuance of a student visa. The U.S. Consulate abroad will have the final decision to grant or deny the student visa.

When meeting with a U.S. consulate abroad, you will be expected to present the Form I-20 with your SEVIS Fee receipt, your Gallaudet letter of acceptance, and proof of financial support.

Canadian students: A Canadian citizen does not need a visa for entering the United States as a student. At the border-crossing point, you will have to present your passport, the SEVIS Form I-20, your SEVIS receipt, your admission letter from Gallaudet University, and financial support documents to the U.S. Immigration Officer.

Contact Information

Undergraduate Programs Information

Contact: Tami Santimyer, Admissions Counselor

Department: Admissions Office


Website:International Admissions

Graduate School Programs Information

Contact: Wednesday Luria, Coordinator, Prospective Graduate Student Services

Department: Graduate Admissions


Website:Graduate Admissions

International Special Student and Visiting Researcher Programs

Contact: International Support Team

Department: International Affairs


Website:Applications (IVSP, IVRP)

International Transfer Information:

Contact: Laura Willey-Saunders, Transfer/Articulation Coordinator

Department: Registrar’s Office


Website:International Credits

English Language Institute Information:

Contact: Ali Sanjabi, Coordinator of Operations

Department: English Language Institute


Website:English Language Institute

Contact Us

International Visiting Students, Researchers, and Scholars

Building 103

(202) 250-2294

(202) 651-5150

(202) 803-7546

9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.