Welcome to Gallaudet University and greetings from the Office of International Affairs (OIA)! OIA is authorized by the U.S. Department of State to operate several programs that recruit individuals from around the world for educational purposes. Regardless of your goals, Gallaudet has a program in place that will provide you with the tools you need to succeed.

Degree-seeking scholars

Deaf and hard of hearing undergraduate students can choose from a wide variety of majors leading to a bachelor of arts, or a bachelor of science degree. Undergraduate students have the option of designing their own self-directed major, where they can select classes from a variety of departments at Gallaudet.

All students may take courses offered at 13 other institutions of higher learning that are members of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area.

Graduate programs, open to deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students, include master of arts or master of science degrees, specialist degrees, certificates, and doctoral degrees in a variety of fields involving professional services to deaf and hard of hearing people.

Non Degree Seeking Scholars

The International Special Student (ISS) program is a tremendous learning experience designed for non-U.S. students who are not pursuing an academic degree at Gallaudet University. The one- or two-semester program is customized to meet the needs of each scholar.

The International Visiting Scholar (IVS) program was established to accommodate a limited number of professors, researchers, and other scholars who wish to use the facilities at Gallaudet University each academic year.

If you are looking to establish a solid foundation in English, the University’s English Language Institute (ELI) provides an intensive English as a Second Language program for American and international deaf and hard of hearing students. Bilingual instruction in both American Sign Language and written English provides a multicultural environment for ELI students to achieve academic, professional, and personal language goals.



Preparing to Apply

You can either
  • Contact the Office of Admissions at Gallaudet University by regular mail at OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS GALLAUDET UNIVERSITY 800 FLORIDA AVENUE NE WASHINGTON, DC 20002
  • Please contact us for more information and request a copy of the undergraduate international application packet, or
  • Download the application here
No. All documents must be presented in English. Transcripts must be translated into English by a certified translator.
The United States immigration laws require you to show valid proof of your ability to pay for at least one academic year of study before a visa will be issued. Gallaudet University does not provide financial assistance for first-year international students. First-year international students are not allowed to use on-campus employment as proof of financial support. However, that does not mean there is no assistance available to you. You can seek full financial support from your family, government, or private/public organizations and agencies for assistance towards your first year of studies. Once you are enrolled at Gallaudet, you can request financial assistance from Gallaudet’s Financial Aid Office after completing your first year of studies. You may also be eligible for scholarships from Gallaudet after your first academic year. If you need more time to seek financial sources, you may submit a written request for deferral with the Office of Admissions. The Office of Admissions can hold your application file for up to five years beyond which you will need to re-apply.
Yes. You must submit proof of full financial support or evidence of adequate financial holdings in a bank, for example, a certified bank statement. A United States Immigration Form I-20 or, where applicable, DS-2019 will be released only after proof of financial support has been submitted.
The Office of Admissions will send you the Form I-20 after receiving and approving your Certification of Finances Form, Affidavit of Annual Cash Support, and support documents. You then need to take that form, your passport, your letter of acceptance from Gallaudet, and copies of your financial support documents to an American embassy or consulate in your home country to apply for a student visa.
The fall semester deadline is May 30, While that for the spring semester is October 30. Please contact us for more information as dates may shift from year to year.
Acceptance to Gallaudet University does not guarantee that you will receive your student visa. The United States Consulate in your country makes the decision to grant or deny the student visa based on the documents you submit.
For the fall semester, you are required to attend the International Student Orientation (ISO) before you participate in the Undergraduate Student Orientation. An immigration workshop will be provide during ISO. If you begin in the spring semester, you will receive an individual meeting after business registration.
Yes. You can brush up your English language skills by enrolling in the English Language Institute (ELI) at Gallaudet University. This pre-college program offers intensive English language instruction to deaf or hard of hearing international students. Many international students apply to Gallaudet University’s undergraduate program after completing the ELI program. Please contact us for more information about the program.
Though it is not mandatory, we encourage you to live on campus. It will allow you to meet and socialize with students from around the world and become familiar with American culture, customs, and people. The majority of Gallaudet students live in one of the six residence halls on campus. If you are accepted to the University, you will receive an admissions acceptance packet, including a housing application that must be submitted along with the required $200 security deposit.
All Canadian citizens wishing to enter the U.S. are required to show their passports.
You need to
  • Complete a full secondary school education (equivalent to six years of primary plus six years of secondary school) or have university (post-secondary) experience,
  • Obtain financial support, and
  • Make arrangements to take the ACT (American College Test) or the SAT(formerly Scholastic Aptitude/Assessment Test) test.
If none are available, contact the international admissions counselor immediately. Please contact us for more information.
Yes, international students must either be deaf or hard of hearing to qualify for admission to the undergraduate program. However, hearing students may be considered for the University’s graduate and post-graduate programs.

Contact Us

International Visiting Students, Researchers, and Scholars


Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.