Who We Are
News & Stories
Jan 26, 2023
Jan 19, 2023
November 11, 2022
November 17, 2022
November 19, 2022
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Dec 9, 2022
Manuscripts – Yesteryear at Gallaudet, 1963-1969
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
Record Group 2
Alumni Office, Gallaudet University
Yesteryear at Gallaudet, 1963-1969
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: Record Group 2
Title: Yesteryear at Gallaudet,1963-1969
Quantity: 0.5 linear foot (1 document box)
Abstract: This collection consists of correspondence and manuscripts for a book that was tentatively titled, “Yesteryear at Gallaudet”.
Acquisition Information: The collection was transferred to the Gallaudet University Archives from the Office of Alumni, Gallaudet University on May 26, 1993.
Processed by: Michael J. Olson, 2009 July 31.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives
The first Alumni Office was opened on campus in 1960, and the office was located in the Student Union Building. In 1962, the Alumni Office was moved to Dawes House. David Peikoff was the first director of the Alumni Affairs of the Alumni Office that was financed jointly by the Gallaudet College Alumni Association and Gallaudet College. In 1968, the Alumni Office was operated with the University’s budget. Jack R. Gannon, a member of the Class of 1959, was hired as the first full-time executive secretary and Director of Alumni Relations. That same year, the office was moved from Chapel Hall’s basement to Room 117 in Hall Memorial Building. The office again was moved to College Hall in 1970. In 1971, the Alumni and Public Relations offices became merged, and the number of employees increased from two to nine. New visitors and youth relations programs were added. At that time, it was relocated to Chapel Hall. In 1982, the Alumni and Public Relations Office moved into a newly renovated Peikoff Alumni House, known as Ole Jim.
The name changed to the Office of Alumni Relations and served as a liaison between the alumni and the University. The University uses alumni data for reports, surveys, and accreditation. The strength and dedication of alumni to the University have been ranked among the top reasons students come to Gallaudet. The office is also responsible for communication with alumni and works with the Office of Public Relations to prepare several alumni publications and a monthly newsletter that runs through email distribution.
Scope and Content
The unpublished manuscript, Yesteryear at Gallaudet, consists of one document box for .05 linear feet and approximately 800 pages. The materials within the collection range from 1963 to 1969, with most content from 1963 to 1964. The bulk of the collection is unpublished manuscripts and correspondence related to the history of Gallaudet University. The tentative title of the book was Yesteryear at Gallaudet. The Alumni Office was instrumental in involving the compilation of articles of amusing or historical interest written by different authors during different eras and centering on Gallaudet University. That project was the dream of Roy J. Stewart, Class of 1899, and Howard T. Hofsteater, Class of 1930. They wrote many historical articles and other deaf authors and reviewers related to Gallaudet University. Unfortunately, they did not live to see the completion of the project. The Alumni Office took over the project, but the book was never materialized.
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2023 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002