Who We Are
News & Stories
Sep 30, 2022
August 20, 2023
June 29, 2023
June 24, 2023
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Oct 1, 2022
Manuscripts – MSS 76 – Laro Club, Inc., 1938-1979
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
MSS 76 – Laro Club, Inc., 1938-1979
Collection of Laro Club, Inc., 1938-1979
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 76
Title: Collection of Laro Club, Inc., 1938-1979
Quantity: 1.5 Linear Feet (3 document boxes)
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 3.
Acquisition Information: Laro Club, Inc. papers were given to the Gallaudet University Archives by Robert Swain Jr. The gift was made in 1982.
Processed by: Carielyn Kelly. 1984 June 13.
Processing Note: Revised by Gary W. Brooks. 1998 May 12.
Related Material in the Archives:
Scope and Content
In 1935, the Laro Club (Oral spelled backwards) was founded by a group of five deaf oralists. In 1938, a total of 49 deaf oralists joined together for the sole purpose of organizing the Laro Club.
The club was designed as a social club for practicing deaf oral adults in the greater New York Metropolitan Area. Schools represented by members were: Clarke School for the Deaf, St. Louis Central Institute for the Deaf, Public School 47 in Manhattan, Lexington School for the Deaf, St. Josephs School and various other private schools.
The Laro club, Inc. collection consists of approximately 700 pages, dating from 1938-1979.
The bulk of the collection falls into the period when the club was in its peak: 1950-1964.
Eventually the club became the best known social group for oral deaf adults in the country. During the club’s peak years, it had slightly over 100 members.
Business meetings were held every month. Social affairs were held monthly except for July and August. Fund raising events were sponsored for worthwhile causes. The clubs outstanding social event was their annual banquet and dinner. Social affair reports, social activities, membership lists and business meeting minutes can be found in the collection.
In 1955, the Laro Club became incorporated. In 1961 it published and disseminated its first issue of the newsletter, “Largo Log”. This newsletter was printed until 1965. It seemed that the Laro Log was an effective means keeping members together. Copies of many of the newsletters, various correspondence and information from the historical committee are included in the collection.
Over the years, the club’s membership rules changed. Standards relaxed to encourage more members. This dissatisfied members among the Old Guard. Inevitably interest lagged, and membership dropped. In September 1979, the Laro Club, Inc. disbanded.
Correspondence by the following people can be found among the Laro Club, Inc. Papers: Franz Ascher, LaMoyne Ascher, Eugene Bergan, Helen Gordon Bergan, Catherine Evans, Howard Hoffman, Margaret Jackson, Milton Ohringer, Chares Rancke, William Rogers, Elliott Rosenholz, James Russell, and Robert Swain.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2022 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002