Who We Are
News & Stories
Sep 22, 2023
Sep 21, 2023
September 27, 2023
September 28, 2023
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Our Global Presence
Global at Home
Global Learning For All
Your Journey Starts Here
Explore Our Campus
Jan 1, 1970
Sep 17, 2023
Aug 31, 2023
Manuscripts – MSS 27 – Pendell,...
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
MSS 27 – Pendell, Lucille Hunt, 1902-1981
Papers of Lucille H. Pendell, 1948-1972
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 27
Title: Papers of Lucille H. Pendell, 1948-1972.
Quantity: 1.0 Linear Feet (2 document boxes)
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 6.
Acquisition Information: Lucille Hunt Pendell donated her papers to the Gallaudet University Archives in 1972.
Processed by: Carielyn Kelly. 1984 September 25.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives: The archives has numerous materials related to Pendell. Please see ALADIN for a complete listing.
Groundbreaking for the Edward Miner Gallaudet Memorial Library [motion picture].
Call Number: Deaf Film 16-6
American Association of University Professors American Library Association Beta Phi Mu Catholic University Library School Alumni Association Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf Delta Zeta District of Columbia Library Association Kappa Delta Pi.
Scope and Content
The Lucille H. Pendell Papers, 1948 1973, consist of 2,000 pages of correspondence and manuscripts of Lucille Hunt Pendell, who served as librarian at Gallaudet College for more than 25 years.
The majority of the papers are dated from the mid 1950’s the mid 160s, and reflect Pendell’s interests and activities while at Gallaudet College.
Lucille Pendell came to Gallaudet College in 1943 as Librarian and Assistant Professor in the Library Science Department. She was very involved in Gallaudet and published several articles relating to her profession. Included in the collection are the articles, “Edward Miner Gallaudet Memorial Library Gallaudet College, Kendall Green” and “Library Service to the Deaf”, as well as correspondence relating to these articles and descriptions of the contents, function and purpose of the library.
Miss Pendell also was asked on numerous occasions to review books and articles associated with both library services and deafness. Pendell’s reviews, as well as letters requesting the reviews, are included among her papers.
On February 5, 1957 the Edward Miner Memorial Library opened. During the planning stages of the library, Pendell wrote two separate descriptions of the operational program of the Library, including the physical layout and facilities of the Edward Miner Gallaudet Memorial Library. These handwritten descriptions can be found along with various correspondence, including Pendell’s appointment as chairperson of the Library Science Department, in 1971.
In addition to being an integral part of the E.M.G. Memorial Library and the Library Science Department, Pendell was also actively involved with the Gallaudet students. Specifically, she was an honorary member and the advisor of the Phi Kappa Zeta sorority. One can find Pendell’s name tags, certificate of membership, correspondence, invitations and programs relating to the sorority’s activities from 1952 on.
In 1972, Lucille Pendell retired as Head Librarian at Gallaudet College. To show their appreciation to Pendell, the students, faculty and staff wrote personal letters of thanks and compiled these into a book. The book was then presented to Mrs. Pendell at her retirement party. Copies of the letters, as well as Mrs. Pendell’s thank you letters and banquet napkins, book markers and programs are included in the collection.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2023 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002