Who We Are
News & Stories
Jan 26, 2023
Jan 19, 2023
November 11, 2022
November 17, 2022
November 19, 2022
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Dec 9, 2022
Manuscripts – Collection of the North Dakota School for the Deaf, 1890-1911
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
North Dakota School for the Deaf
Collection of the North Dakota School for the Deaf, 1890-1911
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 103
Title: Collection of the North Dakota School for the Deaf, 1890-1911.
Quantity: 0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 6.
Acquisition Information: The North Dakota School for the Deaf Minutes were purchased by the Gallaudet University Archives.
Processed by: Michael Olson and Thomas Strunk. 2000 October 10.
Processing Note: Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
As part of the provision of the Enabling Act of the United States of America to divide the Dakota Territory into two states, North Dakota and South Dakota, to admit them into the Union in 1889, the states were required to form an education of deaf and other handicapped children. South Dakota already had a school for the deaf in Sioux Falls. Federal government purchased 40,000 acres of land and donated them to the state. The state used part of this land for the school.
Anson R. Spear, a deaf graduate from the Minnesota School for the Deaf, formed the North Dakota School for the Deaf in Devils Lake by drawing up a bill to be brought to the State Legislature. The state congress passed the bill, but the governor vetoed it. Persistence by the supporters brought this bill back and on the last day of the legislative session, this bill was passed on March 18, 1890.
Spear became the superintendent, and his wife, matron. Olaf Hanson, a deaf architect, designed the new school building. Alto M. Lowman, the first deaf lady graduate from Gallaudet College, was hired to be one of the new teachers. A compulsory attendance of children between 11 to 21 years of age forced the attendance of deaf students at this school, or the parents would be fined $10 to $50.
Scope and Content
All the papers contained in this collection consist of the minutes of the Trustees meetings from 1890 to 1911. The collection of minutes from 1890 to 1903 comes in the form of microfilm. Minutes from 1903 to 1911 come in the form of papers.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2023 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002