Who We Are
News & Stories
Feb 3, 2023
November 11, 2022
November 17, 2022
November 19, 2022
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Dec 9, 2022
Manuscripts – Collection of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, 1936-1942
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
Maryland State School for the Deaf
Collection of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, 1936-1942
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 104
Title: Collection of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, 1936-1942
Quantity: 0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 5.
Processed by: Thomas Strunk. 2000 October 24.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
The State Legislature formed the Maryland State School for the Deaf on September 25, 1868, in Frederick. Original buildings of this school were the Hessian Barracks for seven years, while the new buildings were being built. The ground was broken for the new building on August 29, 1870, and completed on September 8, 1875. William D. Cooke served as the first principal of this school. The first student enrolled was Mary M. Ijams. Thirty-four students attended the first class on the first day, many of them barefoot. George W. Veditz was one of the most prominent graduates of this school, and he became a teacher after graduating from Gallaudet College. The school removed ‘State’ from its name in 1956.
Scope and Content
This collection is composed primarily of progress books/curriculum made by teachers of the school and workbooks that students of this school worked on. The progress books/curriculum made by teachers includes the methods of teaching different academic subjects and goals of speech and speech reading training. Teachers made curriculum plans for every month of the school year. Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2023 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002