Who We Are
News & Stories
Dec 1, 2022
Nov 29, 2022
November 11, 2022
November 17, 2022
November 19, 2022
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Dec 2, 2022
Manuscripts – Collection of Calvary Baptist Church of the Deaf, 1885-1985
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
Descriptive Summary Repository: Gallaudet University Archives Call No.: MSS 116 Creator: Title: Collection of Calvary Baptist Church of the Deaf, 1885-1985 Quantity: 0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box) Abstract: Note: This document last updated 2005 November 30. Administrative Information Acquisition Information: Processed by: Michael Olson. Processing Note: Octavian Robinson wrote the Historical Sketch and Scope and Content in October 2004. Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research. Related Material in the Archives: See Library catalog
The mission was established in 1885 and was the first mission for the Deaf in the District of Columbia. For the first three years, Rev. Samuel Greene was the pastor, and the various school teachers, including Dr. Edward M. Gallaudet, served as interpreters. After 1888, It became too difficult to find interpreters, and the mission was discontinued. In 1908, the mission was re-established and continued with increased successes. Professor Arthur D. Bryant was the missions’ first ordained minister in 1911.
In 1949, Francis Higgins began preaching to deaf congregations and played a prominent role in the Church. Fellowship hour, Sunday School for adults and children, and other church activities were added throughout the years. In 1962, the mission created a scholarship fund for deaf students who wanted to prepare for the Baptist ministry. The mission published a history in 1985.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of banquet program books, crossword puzzles, newspaper clippings, history articles, and biographical information about Harley Drake, Francis Higgins, and Arthur D. Bryant who all played prominent roles in the mission. Most items are related to the 1985 centennial anniversary of the mission, including souvenirs from the centennial banquet. The items in this collection date from 1911-1985. The centennial history booklet provides interesting photos, membership lists, and biographies of individuals involved with the mission. This booklet is perhaps the most interesting item in the collection.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2022 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002