Who We Are
News & Stories
Feb 3, 2023
November 11, 2022
November 17, 2022
November 19, 2022
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Dec 9, 2022
Manuscripts – Collection, Linguistics Research Laboratory, 1954-1984
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
Record Group 1
Linguistics Research Laboratory, Gallaudet College Collection,
Linguistics Research Laboratory, 1954-1984
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: Record Group 1
Title: Collection, Linguistics Research Laboratory, 1954-1984
Quantity: 7.5 linear foot (15 boxes)
Abstract: This collection consists of letters, articles, catalogs, grant applications, reports, clippings, minutes, proposals, memorandums and newsletters related on research of sign language.
Acquisition Information: The collection was transferred to the Gallaudet University Archives in 1985.
Processed by: Michael J. Olson, 2009 October 19.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made
for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives
The Linguistics Research Laboratory, a separate unit of the College, was established in 1970. Dr. William C. Stokoe, Jr., where he conducted linguistic research at Gallaudet from 1957 until 1971, became the first Director of the Linguistics Research Laboratory on July 1, 1971. Dr. Stokoe was a chairman of the Department of English at Gallaudet. The Laboratory became a part of the Research Institute in 1978. The unit conducted the study of sign language and researched the system of the language used by deaf people. The Linguistics Research Laboratory closed on December 31, 1984.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of 15 document boxes for a total of 7.5 linear feet and approximately 12,750 pages. The materials within the collection range from 1954 to 1984 with the majority of content from 1971 to 1979. The bulk of the collection is letters written by correspondents related to the research of sign language. Some materials in the collection contain grant applications to obtain funds for more research on sign language. This collection has some early documents on sign language that Dr. Stokoe wrote between the 1960s and 1970s. Interested linguistics may be able to look at the early documents related to the research on sign language.
Click Here to View the Folders List
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2023 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002