Who We Are
News & Stories
Sep 30, 2022
August 20, 2023
June 29, 2023
June 24, 2023
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Oct 6, 2022
Manuscripts – Papers of Jane W. Brownlow, 1893-1996
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
Brownlow, Jane W.
Papers of Jane W. Brownlow, 1893-1996
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 177
Title: Papers of Jane W. Brownlow, 1893-1996
Quantity: 3 linear feet (6 document boxes)
Abstract: This collection consists of Jane W. Brownlow’s research papers on the history of the Reinhardt School for the Deaf Children in Kensington, Maryland. Her research includes correspondence, speech-training notes, school recollections, various articles, calendars, alumni directories, genealogical information, photographs, journals and individual student biographies.
Acquisition Information: The Papers of Jane W. Brownlow was donated to the Gallaudet University Archives by Jane W. Brownlow on January 16, 1996.
Processed by: Michael J. Olson, 2009 October 22.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives
The Reinhardt School for Deaf Children was founded in 1908 by Anna C. Reinhardt, who came to Kensington, Maryland from Philadelphia where she taught with deaf children at Bala School for the Deaf. Miss Reinhardt was born in Philadelphia in 1864. She took special training in teaching the deaf. She was a pioneer in the teaching of lip-reading and speech to deaf children. Miss Reinhardt was the first educator of the deaf to use the Montessori Method in America. The Reinhardt School continued to operate until Miss Reinhardt passed away in 1935 and the school was disbanded in 1955.
Scope and Content
The papers of Jane W. Brownlow consist of 6 document boxes for a total of 3 linear feet and approximately 5,100 pages. The materials within the collection range from 1893 to 1996 with the majority of content from 1976 to 1990 as indicated with those years of Jane W. Brownlow’s research. The bulk of the papers are with research notes, letters, and interviews with former pupils of the Reinhardt’s School for Deaf Children. Jane W. Brownlow spent much of her time in research on the history of the school in preparing for publish a book. However, the book was never materialized.
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2022 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002