Who We Are
News & Stories
Mar 16, 2023
Mar 8, 2023
Mar 2, 2023
June 24, 2023
June 29, 2023
August 20, 2023
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Your Journey Starts Here
Tools & Resources
Explore Our Campus
Dec 9, 2022
Manuscripts – Collection of Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf, 1892-1972
King Jordan Student Academic Center 1255
Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf, 1910-
Collection of Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf, 1892-1972
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 96
Creator: Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf
Title: Collection of Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf, 1892-1972
Quantity: 1.5 Linear Feet (3 document boxes)
Abstract: A social organization with religious ties established for the deaf in Brooklyn and Long Island. Many prominent Deaf clergymen worked with this organization.
Note: This document last updated 2005 November 23.
Acquisition Information: The Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf collection was donated to the Gallaudet University Archives in 1978 by Henry Buzzard.
Processed by: Cheryl Morris. 2000 March 3.
Processing Note: Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
In Brooklyn, the seven men that met together in St. Mark’s Church on Adelphi Street founded the Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf. The Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf was founded in January 1892. It was then known as St. David’s Guild. The seven men were the Rev. Mr. Anson T. Colt and Messrs. William G. Gilbert, Robert Rusk, A.J. McLaren, Henry Juhring, Ecka, and Lenehan. The purpose of establishing this church was to provide a meeting place for the social activities of the deaf of Brooklyn and Long Island, and to carry on charitable work among them. The Guild has been the center of religious work, and it started as an offshoot of the Episcopal missions of the Reverend Dr. Gallaudet. The late Reverend Thomas Gallaudet, D.D, inspired B.P.G.D.
Scope and Content
The Brooklyn Protestant Guild of the Deaf collection contains three boxes of manuscripts, books, program books, newsletters, and a will. The collection, which consists of approximately 750 papers, is dated from 1892-1972. The collection includes constitution and by-law materials, correspondence, church memberships, minutes of meetings, a history of the Guild written on January 7, 1944, by the secretary, Lulu M. Demmerle, cash account books, church service brochures, newsletters, officer records, and a will of Archibald J. McLaren.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2023 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002