Who We Are
News & Stories
Sep 22, 2023
Sep 21, 2023
September 27, 2023
September 28, 2023
University Wide Events
No Communication Compromises
Areas of Study
Changing the world
Community & Innovation
Research Experiences & Services
Our Global Presence
Global at Home
Global Learning For All
Your Journey Starts Here
Explore Our Campus
Jan 1, 1970
Sep 17, 2023
Aug 31, 2023
History of Biology at Gallaudet
Hall Memorial Building N318
1864-1940: Natural Science Department
In 1864, when the National Deaf-Mute College (later changed to Gallaudet College) opened, all undergraduate students were required to take the following areas of courses:
The Natural Science area included courses in Chemistry, Natural Philosophy (physics), Astronomy, Botany, Zoology, Physiology, Geology and Mineralogy, and Physical Geography. Sophomores took two twelve-week terms of Botany. They were expected to learn physiological and structural botany and the names of ordinary plants. During their junior year, students took Physiology in the first two terms and Zoology in the last two terms. Zoology students studied the elements of zoology, including physiology and the general principles of classification.
“Whenever practicable, use is made of Bech’s binocular microscopes, with the manipulation of which students are familiarized. Morton’s college lantern is also used for purposes of illustration.”
– the Gallaudet catalog, 1884
One graduate landed a job as a microscopist at the Coast Survey in 1886.
In 1896, Botany was reduced from two terms to one term. Students were expected to fully describe and determine ordinary plants’ names, excluding only a few of the more difficult plant families. In Physiology, students studied Red Cross First Aid methods such as the application of bandages, resuscitation, what to do in emergencies, etc.
Each student was required to read and report on special articles on health and hygiene. Popular articles by Dr. Harvey Wiley, who was Chief of the Bureau of Chemistry, U.S. Department of Agriculture, were among those supplementary reading materials.
Rev. J.W. Chickering was the Professor of Natural Science from 1884 to 1899. In 1900, Charles R. Ely replaced Rev. Chickering as the next Professor and Herbert E. Day joined the faculty as an Assistant Professor of Natural Science.
During the academic year of 1922-23, General Bacteriology was added to the area of Natural Science. This course was offered to two members of the senior class selected by the Classification Committee. This course included laboratory studies of molds, yeasts, household bacteriology, and preparation of cultural media followed by a study of as many pathogenic bacteria as possible.
The course of higher instruction leading to collegiate degrees occupied four years, and embraced the following courses:
In 1940, the Natural Science requirements of Biology (formerly Zoology) and Botany became electives. All Freshmen were required to study Physics if they did not elect to take mathematics. Students also had to take Inorganic Chemistry and Organic Chemistry to meet the Natural Science requirement.
Mr. Walter Krug (B.A. Gallaudet, 1927; M.S., Gallaudet, 1932) joined the Gallaudet faculty in 1927 as an Assistant Professor of Mathematics. He was also in charge of College Men (the title of his position was later changed to Dean of College Men) serving in that capacity for 35 years, from 1927 to 1962. He taught Latin during the year 1927-1928. He later became the Chairperson of the Division of Mathematics and Science in the fall of 1948.
Mr. Jonathan Hall, who was the son of Dr. Percival Hall, president of Gallaudet (1910-1945), joined the Gallaudet faculty in 1938 as a researcher and Instructor in Science and Drawing. He received his Master’s degree from Gallaudet in 1938. He later became Assistant Professor of Natural Science in 1941.
In 1942, all male freshmen were required to take either Biology (4 credit hours) or Mathematics (5 credit hours). Biology was an elective course for female freshmen. In 1944, a special laboratory deposit was required of students in Biology and Bacteriology.
In the fall of 1948, the college year was changed from a three-term trimester to a two-term semester plan. Beginning with the Freshman class, a total of 122-semester credits, two of them in physical education, was the minimum requirement for a Bachelor’s degree.
The course was grouped into six classifications, the first five of which were known as Areas of Concentration, namely:
To meet the science requirements, freshmen had a choice of either Biology, Chemistry, or Physics.
At the close of the sophomore year, or upon completing the Basic Academic requirements throughout the year, students had to elect a field of concentration from the five major areas of studies. Students who fulfilled all the requirements of the Area of Mathematics and Science were eligible for the Bachelor of Science degree. To meet the requirements for the Bachelor’s degree, a student had to complete with at least an average of C and a minimum of 30 semester hours in the chosen area of concentration.
Students who chose the area of Mathematics and Science had to meet the following requirements:
The courses in the Area of Mathematics and Science were as follows:
Institutional planning and increased funding in Congress powered an academic expansion in 1955 with the addition of 85 new courses. A ten-million-dollar construction program and the college’s initial accreditation by the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges in 1957 led to the establishment of departments of different areas.
The Biology Department had its origin as Natural Science under the Division of Science and Mathematics with Mr. Walter Krug appointed the Chairperson of the Division in 1948. With the formation of the departments, Mr. Krug, therefore, became the first Chairperson of the Biology Department.
Upon the death of Mr. Krug in 1962, Dr. Clyde Reed became the acting Chairperson for 1963-1964. Associate Professor John McKinlay was selected in 1963 from outside the department to serve as Chairperson and remained in that position for two years (1963-1965). In its history, the Department has had thirteen different Chairpersons:
When the Department was established in 1953, this was the curriculum for Biology majors:
Required courses were General Biology, Evolution of the Vertebrates, Vertebrate Embryology, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Comparative Anatomy, and Genetics.
Elective courses included Histology and Laboratory Techniques, General Botany, General Bacteriology, and Independent Study By 1962, the Gallaudet catalog listed the following curriculum:
Required course in related fields: General Chemistry.
Since 1962, the Biology curriculum has changed a little. For example, Entomology and Ichthyology, offered during the years of 1973-1981, were dropped because the professors of these courses left the department. Cytotechnology, taught by Professor Platt from George Washington University, was available during 1965-1973. Additions to the curriculum have included Animal Physiology (1980); Molecular Biology (1988); Cell Biology (1997); Human Genetics (1997) and Research Methods in Biology (1997).
Existing courses were also changed. For example, the Human Anatomy and Physiology course was changed from a one-semester course for both Biology and physical education majors to a two-semester course specifically for Biology majors (Human Anatomy and Physiology) and a one-semester course for physical education majors (Fundamentals of Human Anatomy and Physiology).
By separating the two majors, each group receives individual attention to prepare them appropriately for their specific career interests. Special Topics were offered depending on student interest and instructor expertise, such as Neurobiology, Biogeography, Parasitology, Evolution, Art in Botany, Endocrinology, and Medical Terminology.
2012-present: Department of Science, Technology, & Mathematics
The Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Information Technology programs are now under the Department of Science, Technology, and Mathematics.
Fill out our inquiry form for an Admissions Counselor to contact you.
Create an account to start Your Applications.
Already Started an Application? Log in to Submit your completed Application or Check your application status here.
Gallaudet University, chartered in 1864, is a private university for deaf and hard of hearing students.
Copyright © 2023 Gallaudet University. All rights reserved.
800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002