If you are interested in taking classes during semester or summer breaks at any college or university (other than consortium member institutions) and wish to transfer these credits to Gallaudet, please contact the Registrar’s Office for information about Prior Permission Transfer Credit. You should be currently enrolled for fall or spring terms at Gallaudet and expect to continue at Gallaudet the following semester.

Transfer courses awarded credit may satisfy University requirements, but neither the grade nor the credits earned are considered in calculating your GPA, with one exception. If the transfer course is equivalent to a Gallaudet course that you previously failed, the University recognizes that you have indeed passed that course, and the prior failing grade and course credit are removed from the calculation of your GPA.

Here is the procedure for prior approval of your transfer credits:

  • Give the Registrar’s Office a complete course description of each course.
  • Fill out the Prior Permission for Transfer Credit form, available at the Registrar’s Office.
  • Obtain the exact Gallaudet University equivalent course and approval signature from the respective department chair.
  • Drop off the Prior Permission for Transfer Credit form to the Transfer Specialist at the Registrar’s Office. The Transfer Specialist will sign the form and give you copies for you and your advisor.
  • Contact the other school to arrange for the course.
  • Earn a grade of C or better so that credit will be transferred.
  • Submit a copy of an official transcript upon completion of the course to the Transfer Credit Specialist at the Registrar’s Office.
  • For Passing (P) grades: you must provide evidence (preferably from the university catalog) that the university only gives a Passing grade to students who earned a letter grade of C or higher. If the university gives a Passing grade to students who pass the course (the letter grade could range from A+ to D-), the transfer credits for the course will not be granted.
  • Upon receipt of the official transcript, the Transfer Credit Specialist feeds and posts the transfer credits in the PeopleSoft system.
  • The Prior Permission for Transfer Credit form and any other paperwork when completed are filed in your file.

Contact Us

Office of the Registrar

SLCC Student Service Center

(202) 250-2446

9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm
9:00 am-4:30 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.