Academics
Areas of Study

Chapel Hall from the frontChapel Hall

Built in 1870, Chapel Hall was once the main hub of the university, serving as a chapel, auditorium, exhibit center, and dining hall. This picturesque High Victorian Gothic building is on the National Park Service National Register of Historic Places.

Learn more.

College HallCollege Hall

Completed in 1877, College Hall was the main academic building and dormitory for male students. This is now the main administration building.

House OneEdward Miner Gallaudet Residence

Also known as House one, this 35-room Victorian Gothic mansion was built in 1869 for the university’s first president, Edward Miner Gallaudet.

Learn more.

Peikoff Alumni HousePeikoff Alumni House

When this gymnasium, affectionately known as “‘Ole Jim,” was built in 1881, it was considered one of the finest in the nation and boasted what is possibly the first indoor swimming pool in the country.

Statue of Thomas Gallaudet and Alice Cogswell

Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and Alice Cogswell statue

One of the early works of renowned sculptor Daniel Chester French, this statue depicting the special bond between teacher and student that revolutionized deaf education around the world, was a gift from the National Association of the Deaf in 1889.

History

In 1856, Amos Kendall, a postmaster general during two presidential administrations, donated two acres of his estate in northeast Washington, D.C. to establish a school and housing for 12 deaf and six blind students. The following year, Kendall persuaded Congress to incorporate the new school,...

National Deaf Life Museum

Resource Type: History

House One, the Edward Miner Gallaudet Residence

The Edward Miner Gallaudet Residence, also known as House One, is a 35-room Victorian Gothic mansion that was built in 1869 for Gallaudet University's founder and first president, Edward Miner Gallaudet. Gallaudet, his successors, and their families have lived in this home. Watch this trailer...

National Deaf Life Museum

Resource Type: History

Chapel Hall: Background, architecture and photos

Built in 1870, Chapel Hall was once the main hub of the university, serving as a chapel, auditorium, exhibit center, and dining hall. Chapel Hall is on the National Park Service (NPS) National Register of Historic Places. According to the NPS, "Chapel Hall is one...

National Deaf Life Museum

Resource Type: History

Contact Us

National Deaf Life Museum

Chapel Hall

(202) 250-2235

** By Appointment Only **

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.