Employment for International Visitors

The Exchange Visitor (EV) Program was established by the United States to foster global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges. EVs may study, conduct research, teach, or receive training while in the United States.

While in the U.S., EVs may be authorized for employment under the terms of the exchange program. For EVs not sponsored by Gallaudet University, please check with your Program Sponsor for additional information or restrictions that may apply to you working in the United States.

The following summary of employment regulations applies to EVs sponsored by Gallaudet University.


As a student, you may engage in two kinds of employment: (1) employment related to academic funding, on-campus work, or economic necessity, (2) pre- or post-completion academic training related to the course of study. Employment must be authorized by the Responsible Officer (RO) or Assistant Responsible Officer (ARO) before employment can commence.

On-campus employment

On-campus employment is defined as work done on the premises of Gallaudet University.

Students in good standing may be authorized and limited to 20 hours a week when school is in session except during the Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring, and Summer breaks.

Use the On-Campus Employment Authorization form to obtain written approval.

Once you complete your academic program, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment unless you have obtained employment authorization based on academic training.

Off-campus employment

You may be eligible for off-campus employment based on economic necessity or academic training.

For off-campus employment based on economic necessity, you may be authorized to work off campus if “serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances” have arisen since acquiring J-1 status.

You may not begin employment unless you have received official authorization from the Office of Research Support and International Affairs.

(Note:On-campus employment and economic necessity employment cannot be combined in order to work more than 20 hours per week when school is in session.)

Documentation Required for Off-Campus Employment Based on Economic Necessity

Schedule an appointment with RO/ARO and bring the following documents:

  • Form DS-2019.
  • A letter with an explanation of the serious, urgent, or unforeseen nature of your economic situation, and how it is affecting your stay at Gallaudet University.
  • Form I-94 (paper or electronic version accepted).
  • Copy of your unofficial transcript.

The RO/ARO will review your documents and if approved, issue a letter authorizing off-campus employment.

Academic Training

Academic training is designed to allow J-1 students the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience. It is available for full- or part-time employment to those in both degree and non- degree programs. Academic training can be paid or unpaid. Paid academic training is normally performed after completion of studies. Unpaid academic training is a significant part of the academic program (e.g., required for the degree program). Paid and unpaid academic training can be used before or after the completion of the academic program.

You may participate in academic training during or after your studies as long as the training begins no later than 30 days after completion of studies.

Research Scholars and Short-Term Scholars

EVs in the Research Scholar and Short-Term Scholar categories may participate in activities that are of a temporary nature and/or occasional lectures/consultations. Occasional activities means events that happen once rather than ongoing (conferences, lectures). It is the responsibility of Research Support and International Affairs to review requests and make a determination for approval.

Eligibility Criteria

Occasional lectures and/or consultations must meet the following criteria:

  • Be directly related to the objectives of your J-1 program.
  • Be incidental to your primary program activities.
  • Not delay the completion date of your J-1 program.

Documentation Needed

Schedule an appointment with RO/ARO and bring the following documents:

  • A letter from the inviting institution with terms and conditions and the amount of the honorarium or reimbursement, if any.
  • A brief written letter from your sponsoring department at Gallaudet University giving permission and specifying that the occasional lecture/consultation is directly related to your presence at Gallaudet University.
  • Form DS-2019.
  • Form I-94.

The RO/ARO will review your documents, and if approved, issue a letter authorizing permission for these “incidental” activities.


A Specialist is someone who comes to Gallaudet University to observe, consult or demonstrate specific skills. He or she:

  • Is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill.
  • Seeks to travel to the United States for the purpose of observing, consulting, or demonstrating his or her special knowledge or skills.
  • Does not fill a permanent or long-term position of employment while in the United States.

Paid employment is permitted only if described on the Form DS-2019 as part of the terms of agreement to come to Gallaudet University to demonstrate or consult on the specialized skill.

Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Building 103 #101/102

(202) 250-2294

(202) 651-5150

(202) 803-7546

9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.