Areas of Study

International students will need to go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest to where they live. Please bring the following:

  • Letter of admission to Gallaudet University
  • Passport
  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • SEVIS receipt
  • Financial support papers. (The same financial documents that were used for completing the Gallaudet University Certificate of Finances form.)
  • One recent passport picture. The size of the passport picture should be 37mm x 37mm and taken against a light background, showing the student’s full face, without any head covering.
  • Cash equivalent of about $160 U.S. dollars.

While at the embassy, the student will be asked to fill out a Form OF-156. He or she will need to submit this form with the documents to the consular officer. If there aren’t any problems, the embassy or consulate will process the paperwork and issue a student visa. The visa may be either a single or multiple entry visa. If a student receives a multiple entry visa, it may be used to re-enter the United States as often as needed until the visa expires, as long the Form I-20 is signed and validated.

If a student is a landed immigrant, a refugee, or has asylum status, he or she must follow the “HOW TO APPLY FOR A STUDENT VISA” procedures explained above.

NOTE: International students are not eligible for a temporary (non-immigrant) student visa unless they have a clear and definitive intent to return to their country of residence after their studies. During their visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, any statement they make that would cast doubt on their intent to return home after their studies could lead to a denial of their visa application.

Some suggestions on how to respond when meeting with an embassy official or consular officer:

  • Keep answers short and to the point.
  • Do not argue with the consular officer.
  • Do not tell the officer of any intention to work in the U.S. while a student at Gallaudet or after completing studies.
  • Ask the officer for a list of documents to submit if the application for the visa is denied.

Canadian students: A Canadian citizen does not need a visa when entering the United States as a student. At the border-crossing point, he or she will have to present a Canadian passport, the SEVIS Form I-20, the SEVIS Receipt, the admission letter from Gallaudet University, and financial support documents to the U.S. Immigration Officer. Canadian students are required to have a Canadian passport to facilitate entry into and exit from the United States.

If a student is already in the United States and transferring to Gallaudet, he or she must submit evidence of full-time enrollment status from the preceding semester/quarter at the previous school, along with a new SEVIS Form I-20 to Mona Blanchette McCubbin, International Student Advisor, before classes begin. Otherwise the student will not be allowed to register for classes. If more information or appropriate forms are needed, please contact Mona Blanchette McCubbin at Contact.

Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Building 103 #101/102

(202) 250-2294

(202) 651-5150

(202) 803-7546


Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.