Get A Job On Campus

“Employment” is work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food, or any other benefit. If you receive no pay or other benefit for work/services performed, the activity is not defined as “employment” and is considered to be “volunteer work.”

Enrolled students in F-1 status may work on campus. These students do not need to apply for permission from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To qualify, these students must be “in-status.” This qualification means that the student has:

  • Valid Form I-20
  • I-94 with a Duration of Status (stamped D/S in passport) notation
  • Valid Passport

F-1 students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week when school is in session. During vacation periods (summer, winter, and spring breaks), these students are allowed to work on campus for up to 40 hours per week.

Once these students are hired, they must complete the Employment Eligibility Form I-9 at the Office of International Affairs, Dawes House, 104.

Important Note:

If the visa stamp in the student’s passport has expired, it is not necessary to renew it if the student wants to stay in the United States. However, if the visa has expired and the student wishes to travel outside the United States and return, he/she will need to renew it at a United States consulate or embassy outside the United States. It cannot be renewed within the United States.

Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)

Building 103 #101/102

(202) 250-2294

(202) 651-5150

9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm
9:00 am-5:00 pm

Select what best describes your relationship to Gallaudet University so we can effectively route your email.
By submitting this form, I opt in to receive select information and deaf resources from Gallaudet University via email.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.